Sydney, Aug 2026 : Former Australia opener David Warner has been convicted of a mid-range drink-driving offence by a Sydney court and fined AUD 1,500, with the former cricketer now required to use an alcohol interlock device if he wishes to drive.
The 39-year-old was convicted by Waverley Local Court after pleading guilty to the offence last month. Warner was charged after he was caught driving with more than twice the legal alcohol limit during a random breath test in Sydney's eastern suburbs on Easter Sunday, April 5.
The incident occurred when Warner, who was driving a van, stopped short of a roadside random breath-testing station. According to the case, he attempted to switch seats with a passenger as he approached the testing site, drawing the attention of police. He was subsequently subjected to a breath test, which recorded an alcohol reading above the threshold for a mid-range drink-driving offence.
The court had scheduled August 18 for sentencing, with Warner facing penalties under New South Wales traffic laws. His lawyer, Awais Ahmad, had argued that Warner should avoid a formal conviction, pointing to what he described as significant additional consequences caused by widespread media coverage of the incident.
Ahmad told the court that details of the case had been reported extensively by international media organisations, including ESPN and Al Jazeera. He argued that the publicity could have a significant impact on Warner's commercial opportunities, particularly in countries such as India and Bangladesh, where the former Australian opener continues to have substantial popularity and could seek opportunities in T20 franchise leagues.
"The consequences of his offending are profound. Commercial opportunities are being affected," Ahmad argued.
The lawyer also questioned the decision by New South Wales Police to issue a media release regarding Warner's arrest, suggesting that the offence itself was not unusual enough to warrant such publicity. He said the subsequent media attention had resulted in considerable scrutiny of Warner and his family.
Warner was arrested while returning home to Australia during an Easter break from Pakistan, where he was playing for and captaining Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League. Despite being charged, he subsequently returned to Pakistan to complete his PSL commitments.
The conviction could also have implications for Warner's role as captain of Sydney Thunder in the upcoming Big Bash League season. His status with the franchise has come under scrutiny following the court proceedings and the conviction.
During the sentencing hearing, Judge Clare Farnan acknowledged that Warner and his wife, Candice Warner, had faced cruel and abusive commentary on social media following the incident. However, she said the importance of deterring drink-driving remained paramount when considering the appropriate penalty.
The judge also noted an aggravating factor in the case: children were present in the vehicle at the time of the offence. The presence of children, combined with Warner's elevated blood-alcohol reading, contributed to the court's decision to record a conviction.
Under the court's order, Warner will still be permitted to drive, but only after applying for an interlock licence and having an approved alcohol interlock device installed in his vehicle. The technology is designed to prevent a vehicle from starting if alcohol is detected in the driver's breath.
The device will require Warner to provide a breath sample before starting the vehicle and may require additional tests while driving. The court's decision brings the legal proceedings over the incident to a conclusion but could have ramifications for the veteran cricketer's commercial and professional commitments.
Warner, one of Australia's most successful modern-era opening batters, retired from Test cricket in 2024 but has continued to feature prominently in franchise T20 cricket around the world.