Maduro Pleads Not Guilty, Tells Court ‘I Am A Decent Man’.
New York; January 2026: Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro pleaded not guilty in a New York City court on 05th January 2026 afternoon (local time). Maduro made his initial appearance at Daniel Patrick Manhattan United States Courthouse on Monday. Images showed the pair arriving at the courthouse in an armoured vehicle flanked by DEA agents. Maduro was seen wearing a tan-coloured jacket and trousers, surrounded by DEA agents, as the pair were escorted from the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn two days after they were captured by the U.S. in a military operation led by an elite Delta Force unit in Caracas.
Earlier, Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were seen in handcuffs as they were transported on a helicopter to appear in court.
Inside The Learned Court:
Maduro was seen in the courtroom wearing a short sleeve navy shirt over an orange jail outfit. Maduro entered the court in shackles, where 92-year-old Judge Alvin Hellerstein, a Clinton appointee, read out a shortened version of the 25-page indictment against him.

Asked to confirm his name, Maduro responded in Spanish, giving his name and referring to himself as the “still President of Venezuela”.
Maduro, told Judge Alvin Hellerstein through an interpreter: “I was captured at my home in Caracas, Venezuela. I am not guilty. I am a decent man. I am innocent, I am not guilty of anything mentioned here”, he continued.
The appearance began shortly after noon in front of Judge Alvin Hellerstein, who has handled the Maduro case for years. Maduro’s wife Cilia Flores has also pleaded not guilty during the appearance, saying “I am not guilty, completely innocent”. Both spoke through certified court interpreters.
Maduro has been charged with Narco-Terrorism Conspiracy, Cocaine Importation Conspiracy, Possession of Machine guns and Destructive Devices, and Conspiracy to Possess Machine guns and Destructive Devices against the United States.
Attorney Barry Pollack has represented ousted Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in court on 05th January. Pollack has previously represented WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in the U.S. He also has over 30 years of experience representing individuals, including executives and elite government officials, as well as corporations and other organisations, in sensitive and often high-profile trials and investigations.
Meanwhile, Maduro’s wife, Cilia Flores, is being represented by Mark E. Donnelly, an attorney from Texas. Cilia Flores also declared herself “not guilty, completely innocent”, but showed signs of what her lawyer Mark Connelly described as “significant injuries” sustained “during her abduction”. He suggested she may have a fracture or severe bruising on her ribs and would need a physical evaluation.
Throughout the short hearing, Maduro also took copious notes, and told the judge that he wanted the ability to retain those notes as the case progresses.
But dramatic scenes took place as the hearing came to a close when, a protester stood up and declared “you will pay for what you have done to Maduro”, prompting the ousted leader to defiantly reply: “I am a man of God” and “the President” of his country.
After hearing the pleadings of both the party’s – Judge Alvin Hellerstein has ordered ousted Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro to appear in court on March 17th 2026 at 11:00 Hours.
Maduro and Flores did not enter bail applications and will stay at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn.
Here are other key moments from today’s hearing:
- Arraignment: Maduro attempted to elaborate on the circumstances of his capture when the judge asked him to confirm his identity, noting through a translator, “I was captured at my home in Caracas, Venezuela”. Maduro also stated that he is the president of Venezuela. The judge went on to say, “There will be a time and a place to go into all of this”.
- Indictment: When asked by the judge if he would like the indictment to be read to him in court, Maduro told the judge, “I have it in my hands for the first time”. He also said he’d rather read through it himself.
- Plea: After entering a plea of not guilty to all four charges, Maduro said, “I am still president of my country”, before being cut off by the judge.
- Health and medical care: Pollack also said that medical assistance will need to be addressed for Maduro and Flores. Pollack noted to the judge that “there are some health and medical issues” for Maduro “that will require attention.” Flores’ attorney Mark Donnelly also noted that the ousted first lady sustained “significant injuries during her abduction.” He suggested she may have a fracture or severe bruising on her ribs and would need a physical evaluation.
- Consular visit: The judge informed Maduro and Flores that they have the right to speak with the consulate of Venezuela. Both defendants asked for that visit.
Venezuela Government Orders Capture of People Who Supported U.S. Operations:
The Venezuelan government published a decree declaring a State of Emergency on 05th January while calling for the capture of anyone who supported the U.S. operation that saw the capture of ousted Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.
As part of the decree, police in the country have been ordered to “immediately begin the national search and capture of everyone involved in the promotion or support for the armed attack by the United States” the report said. While the emergency was declared on 03rd January 2026, the details were only published on Monday, 05th January 2026.
Team Maverick.
.
Prime Minister After BNP’s Landslide Victory
Dhaka, Feb 2026 : Tarique Rahman, Chairman of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), was …








