Home World Standard Chartered Bank Plans To Downsize Its Workforce Eliminating 7000 Employees.
World - 60 minutes ago

Standard Chartered Bank Plans To Downsize Its Workforce Eliminating 7000 Employees.

Hongkong; May 2026: Standard Chartered Bank plans to cut more than 7,000 jobs over the next four years as it boosts adoption of artificial intelligence while targeting growth. StanChart said today (Tuesday – May 19, 2026) that it would cut 15% of its corporate function roles by 2030, which, according to a rough calculation, would result in more than 7,000 redundancies out of its more than 52,000 employees in such roles. The organisation (lender) has a total global staff of nearly 82,000, and CEO Bill Winters told reporters the reduction will be driven by automation and the adoption of AI as some staff reskill. “It’s not cost-cutting. It’s replacing in some cases lower-value human capital with the financial capital and the investment capital we’re putting in”, he said.

StanChart is one of the first major global banks to lay out official plans to cut thousands of jobs, citing AI as a driver to make its operations slimmer as it seeks to increase its profitability and mitigate competition.

The cuts, alongside higher shareholder return targets announced in a strategy update, come as StanChart is at the tail-end of a decade-long effort to transform itself from a potential takeover target to a steadily profitable lender.

The bank’s Hong Kong-listed shares gained 2.5% in morning trade, against a flat benchmark Hang Seng. StanChart’s move to streamline operations and rein in costs comes as more global firms slash jobs by deploying AI to improve efficiency.

Banks globally are also scrambling to integrate frontier AI models and fend off rising cyber threats. The most affected roles will be with the bank’s back-office centres, including those in Chennai, Bangalore, Kuala Lumpur and Warsaw, according to official sources. “Of course, we’re using AI along the way and AI will be a huge facilitator and enabler of that”, CEO Winters added, referring to its ongoing revamp to automate more of its core banking system.

With the latest measures, StanChart is seeking to build on a long turnaround and deliver stronger growth, even as geopolitical uncertainty clouds the outlook for some of its key markets. Asia-Pacific banks may need to raise loan-loss provisions further if the Iran conflict drags on, as higher energy costs and weaker growth strain borrowers, analysts said.

For London-headquartered StanChart, which focuses on Asia-Pacific, the region has so far been both a risk and a revenue driver. It set aside US$190 million in precautionary provisions linked to the Middle East conflict in the first quarter. The bank, which is also focused on Africa, hit earlier performance targets ahead of schedule, shifting attention to whether Winters can help it sustain momentum after years of restructuring.

“We achieved our 2026 medium-term financial targets a year earlier than planned”, Winters said in a statement. “We now have a more focused, streamlined and efficient organisation”.

StanChart is underpinning its new target by keeping its focus on higher-margin businesses, including affluent retail clients and financial institutions within its corporate and investment banking division. In the first quarter, the bank reported both its highest wealth revenue and new client money.

Yesterday (Monday – 18 May 2026) the lender named Manus Costello, investor relations head and equity research veteran, as its permanent CFO, succeeding Diego De Giorgi, who resigned in February after nearly three years with the bank.

Team Maverick.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Ajit Agarkar Backs Rishabh Pant to Remain Central to India’s Test Plans Despite Leadership and ODI Setbacks

Guwahati, May 2026 : Chief selector Ajit Agarkar on Tuesday offered a detailed defence of …