Trump Announces 5,000 Additional US Troops to Poland Amid Shifts in European Force Posture
Washington, May 2026: US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that his administration will deploy an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, signalling a further strengthening of military ties with the NATO ally amid ongoing adjustments to the US force posture in Europe.
“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform, without providing further operational details.
The announcement comes just days after the Pentagon temporarily delayed a planned deployment of more than 4,000 US-based troops to Poland. The delay followed broader adjustments in US military positioning across Europe.
Earlier this week, the Pentagon confirmed it was reducing the number of US Brigade Combat Teams stationed in Europe from four to three, effectively returning troop levels to those last seen in 2021. Officials said the change reflects a recalibration of US force requirements on the continent.
The Department of Defence had previously described Poland as “a model US ally,” even as it paused the deployment process. The decision led to a temporary disruption in the movement of US forces to the country.
Currently, approximately 80,000 US troops are stationed across Europe, including around 10,000 in Poland, according to US media reports. Poland has increasingly become a key hub for NATO’s eastern flank defence strategy following heightened regional security concerns in recent years.
In parallel, the Pentagon has also confirmed plans to withdraw roughly 5,000 US troops from Germany over the next six to 12 months as part of its broader realignment strategy in Europe.
Testifying before Congress last week, Christopher LaNeve, acting US Army Chief of Staff, said the decision to cancel a planned temporary deployment of US-based troops to Poland came after instructions from the US European Command.
“I’ve worked with him in close consultation on what that force unit would be, and it… made the most sense for that brigade to not do its deployment in theatre,” LaNeve said, referring to the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team.
He added that parts of the unit had already begun overseas movement, with equipment in transit at the time the order was issued.
According to LaNeve, the cancellation directive originated from the office of US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth. However, no formal public announcement was made at the time of the decision, adding to speculation over the timing and scope of the shift.
Despite the adjustments, Poland continues to be viewed by Washington as a strategically important NATO partner, especially given its geographic position along the alliance’s eastern border.
Trump’s latest announcement appears to reinforce that strategic emphasis, even as the Pentagon simultaneously pursues a broader redistribution of American military assets across Europe.
(The content of this article is sourced from a news agency and has not been edited by the Mavericknews30 team.)
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla Inspects Kota City; Issues Directions on Traffic, Roads and Civic Facilities
Jaipur, May 2026: Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on Thursday conducted an on-ground inspection…








