Rubio Warns Iran Against Strait of Hormuz Transit Tolls, Calls Move ‘Unacceptable’
Stockholm, May 2026 : US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday strongly opposed any move by Iran to impose transit tolls in the Strait of Hormuz, calling such a proposal “simply unacceptable” and warning it could trigger similar actions in other key maritime routes around the world.
Speaking during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Rubio said that allowing Iran to charge tolls in one of the world’s most strategically important waterways would create a dangerous precedent for global trade and maritime security.
“If this happens in the Strait of Hormuz, then it could happen in five other places around the world,” Rubio said, stressing the global importance of the shipping lane for energy supplies and international commerce.
He noted that the Strait remains vital not only for NATO members but also for countries across the Indo-Pacific region and the broader global economy. Rubio further alleged that Iran was attempting to persuade Oman to support the proposed toll system.
“There is no country in the world that should accept such a claim,” Rubio said, adding that no nation, apart from Iran itself, appeared to support the idea.
The US Secretary of State also highlighted ongoing diplomatic efforts at the United Nations, where a resolution promoted by Bahrain is currently under discussion. According to Rubio, the resolution has received an unprecedented number of co-sponsors in the UN Security Council process.
However, he cautioned that a few Security Council members were considering vetoing the proposal. “That would be a regrettable outcome,” Rubio said, while expressing confidence that growing international support could help prevent such a development.
“We will see if the United Nations still works,” he remarked, adding that the US was actively working to build broader global consensus on the issue.
Rubio also spoke about the ongoing negotiations involving Iran, saying there had been “slight progress” in recent talks. While avoiding excessive optimism, he acknowledged that some movement in discussions was a positive sign.
At the same time, Rubio reiterated Washington’s long-standing position that Iran must never be allowed to develop nuclear weapons.
“The fundamental principle remains unchanged — Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon,” he said. Rubio stressed that resolving concerns around uranium enrichment would remain central to any future agreement.
Addressing questions regarding the United States’ review of its military presence in Europe, Rubio clarified that the move should not be interpreted as a punitive action against allies.
He said the US continues to assess global troop deployments in light of its worldwide commitments and strategic priorities. Rubio described the review process as part of normal alliance coordination and said it would continue in consultation with NATO partners.
The Secretary of State also suggested that NATO leaders would likely address concerns over allied responses to recent US operations in the Middle East during an upcoming summit, which he described as potentially one of the most significant gatherings in the alliance’s history.
Team Maverick
Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as US Intelligence Chief Amid Family Health Crisis
Washington, May 2026 : Tulsi Gabbard has resigned from her position as the United States D…








