Tehran, Aug 2026 : Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi has rejected the latest US economic pressure campaign against Tehran, saying Washington’s efforts to isolate and weaken Iran will ultimately fail just like previous sanctions and coercive measures.
Araghchi made the remarks on social media platform X after US President Donald Trump announced what he described as the “most crushing economic operation ever taken” against countries providing economic support to Iran.
“14 years ago: ‘Most crippling sanctions in history.’ Failed. 8 years ago: ‘Maximum pressure.’ Failed. 5 months ago: ‘Unconditional surrender.’ Failed. Today: ‘Most crushing economic operation ever.’ Bound to fail,” Araghchi wrote.
Trump had announced the latest measures on Wednesday, warning countries and entities supporting Iran that they could face unprecedented economic pressure.
“This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social, describing the campaign as an “ECONOMIC D-DAY”.
The latest escalation marks another stage in the continuing confrontation between Washington and Tehran, with the United States seeking to increase economic pressure on Iran while Iranian officials insist that such measures will not force the country to surrender its position.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Kazem Gharibabadi also criticised Washington’s latest approach, arguing that the United States was attempting to portray its economic campaign as a new form of warfare after failing to achieve its objectives through previous measures.
Gharibabadi said Washington was now applying additional pressure on Iran under the label of an “economic war”, which he described as an attempt to conceal what he characterised as the failure of the US strategy.
According to Iran’s official news agency IRNA, Gharibabadi argued that Washington's claim that Iran was on the verge of collapse was contradicted by its own actions, including efforts to seek assistance and cooperation from allies.
He said the United States was attempting to cover up one failure by creating another, adding that the military campaign had failed to deliver the results Washington expected and that the latest economic measures could become another unsuccessful strategy.
The latest statements come against the backdrop of continuing uncertainty over diplomatic efforts between Iran and the United States.
On June 18, Washington and Tehran signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) aimed at ending the conflict in the region on all fronts, including Lebanon. Under the agreement, the two sides were expected to conduct negotiations over a period of 60 days with the objective of reaching a comprehensive final agreement.
That 60-day period ended on Monday, but the future of the negotiations remains uncertain following renewed tensions and an escalation between the two countries last month.
Araghchi's comments indicate that Tehran remains firmly opposed to accepting pressure as a means of securing political concessions. At the same time, the continued uncertainty surrounding the diplomatic process leaves open questions over whether the June framework can be revived.
The latest exchange between the two sides highlights the widening gap between Washington's strategy of economic isolation and Tehran's insistence that sanctions and pressure will not force it to change course.
(Disclaimer :The content of this article is sourced from a news agency and has not been edited by the Mavericknews30 team.)