Quetta, Aug 2026 : Armed fighters reportedly set up road blockades, seized commercial vehicles and targeted Pakistani security forces at several locations across Balochistan on Thursday, disrupting traffic and commercial movement on key highways, local media reports said.
According to The Balochistan Post, incidents were reported in Kalat, Mastung, Kharan, Chagai and Washuk, with armed groups allegedly targeting transport routes and security personnel. The developments have raised fresh concerns over security along major highways connecting Balochistan with other parts of Pakistan.
In Kalat, Pakistani security forces were reportedly ambushed while advancing into an area in armoured vehicles. Citing local sources, the report said the attack took place amid road blockades that had disrupted traffic on major routes. Details regarding casualties or damage to military equipment were not immediately available.
The reported ambush came a day after Pakistani forces were allegedly targeted by an improvised explosive device near Makai in the Manguchar area of Kalat. According to the report, security personnel travelling on foot towards their posts were attacked, with sources claiming that six personnel were killed. One of those identified was Imdadullah, a resident of Wanda Chakri in Lakki Marwat.
In Kharan, armed fighters reportedly used heavy machinery to destroy a bridge on the Kharan-Karachi highway in the Sotkagan area. Local reports said a substantial portion of the bridge was damaged, forcing the suspension of traffic along the important route.
The situation was also reported to have deteriorated in Chagai, where armed fighters allegedly intercepted trucks transporting commercial goods from the Taftan border towards cities elsewhere in Pakistan. Two vehicles were reportedly set on fire during the attacks.
In Washuk, armed fighters allegedly established a blockade and seized two commercial vehicles, according to sources cited by The Balochistan Post. The incidents reportedly affected commercial transportation and added to growing security concerns along the region's highways.
No armed group had formally claimed responsibility for the latest incidents at the time of publication.
The reported attacks come against the backdrop of an earlier announcement by the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), which described its campaign as an “economic blockade” after claiming control over sections of major highways in Balochistan.
Since then, several attacks have reportedly been recorded along routes used to transport oil and gas from Iran, minerals including coal from Balochistan, and other commercial goods. Security forces deployed to protect these transportation corridors have also come under attack.
Balochistan has witnessed persistent militant activity and tensions over political, economic and regional issues. The latest incidents highlight the continuing security challenges facing the province, particularly along major transport corridors that are vital for trade and the movement of energy resources.
The disruption of highways and attacks on commercial vehicles could further affect local trade and supply chains if such incidents continue. Authorities have yet to provide a comprehensive official account of Thursday's developments or confirm the casualty figures reported by local media.
(Disclaimer :The content of this article is sourced from a news agency and has not been edited by the Mavericknews30 team.)