Houthis Claim Drone Strikes on Saudi Airport, Aramco Facility Amid Rising Regional Tensions - Maverick News30

World / 59 min ago / Team Maverick

Houthis Claim Drone Strikes on Saudi Airport, Aramco Facility Amid Rising Regional Tensions

Houthis Claim Drone Strikes on Saudi Airport, Aramco Facility Amid Rising Regional Tensions
AI generated Image

Sanaa, Aug 2026 : Yemen's Houthi group on Thursday claimed responsibility for two drone attacks targeting Saudi Arabia's southern region of Najran, saying the strikes hit a “sensitive target” at Najran airport and a facility belonging to Saudi state-owned oil giant Aramco.

Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said in a statement posted on social media platform X that the group had launched two separate drone operations against targets in the Saudi border region. According to Saree, one drone targeted a facility at Najran airport, while another struck an Aramco installation.

The Houthi spokesperson claimed that both operations successfully achieved their objectives. However, he did not provide details about the nature or extent of any damage, nor did he report possible casualties resulting from the alleged attacks.

Saree said the strikes were carried out in retaliation for what the Houthis described as Saudi drone incursions into Yemeni airspace over Saada province. Saada, located near the Saudi border, is considered a major stronghold of the Houthi movement.

There was no immediate response from Saudi authorities or Aramco regarding the Houthi claims. Independent confirmation of the reported strikes and their impact was not immediately available.

The latest allegations come amid renewed tensions between the Houthis and Saudi Arabia, adding to concerns over the possibility of further escalation along the two countries' border and across Yemen.

At the same time, Yemen's internationally recognised government forces claimed that they had conducted 81 military operations against Houthi positions during the preceding 24 hours. The operations were reportedly carried out across several frontlines as fighting between government forces and the Houthis continues to intensify.

Majid al-Nuzaili, spokesperson for the government forces, said the operations targeted Houthi fighters and military positions in multiple areas. He claimed that a number of Houthi personnel were killed or wounded, including field commanders.

Al-Nuzaili said the government forces launched the operations in response to what he described as repeated Houthi attacks against government troops and civilian infrastructure. The Houthis had not immediately responded to the government's claims.

The latest escalation follows the Houthi group's announcement on July 20 that it was imposing a maritime ban on Saudi shipping. The group justified the move by alleging that Saudi Arabia was maintaining a blockade of areas under Houthi control.

Since then, the Houthis have claimed a series of attacks targeting Saudi tankers, energy infrastructure and airports. The group has also stepped up missile and drone attacks against areas controlled by Yemen's government forces.

The continuing hostilities are part of a conflict that has devastated Yemen for more than a decade. Fighting intensified in late 2014 when the Houthis seized large parts of northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa. In 2015, a Saudi-led coalition intervened militarily in support of the Yemeni government.

Despite several diplomatic initiatives and periods of relative calm, Yemen's conflict remains unresolved, with competing military and political interests continuing to fuel instability. The latest exchange of claims and attacks underscores the fragile security situation and the risk of further escalation in the region.

(Disclaimer :The content of this article is sourced from a news agency and has not been edited by the Mavericknews30 team.)

You May Also Read