Tehran, Aug 2026 : Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Friday called for an end to the conflict with the United States, saying Tehran should seek to conclude the war while Iran remains in a position of “power and dignity.”
Addressing the 31st General Assembly of the Islamic Association of the Iranian Medical Society in Tehran, Pezeshkian said the confrontation with Washington could not continue indefinitely and argued that the current circumstances provided an opportunity to pursue an end to hostilities.
“It is better that we end the war today when we are in a position of power and dignity,” he said, claiming that the international community had recognised Iran's position and criticised the United States for attacks on Iranian infrastructure.
Pezeshkian alleged that US military action had targeted schools, hospitals and other critical infrastructure, describing Washington as increasingly isolated internationally. He said Iran's position had strengthened despite the conflict and that ending the war from a position of strength would be preferable to allowing further escalation.
The Iranian President also defended a memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed between Iran and the United States in June, describing it as an “honourable and valuable” agreement.
According to Pezeshkian, none of the provisions contained in the document amounted to Iranian surrender. Instead, he claimed, the commitments outlined in the agreement placed obligations on the other side.
He said the negotiations that resulted in the MoU represented a significant achievement for Tehran and had received approval from Iran's Supreme National Security Council.
“The great achievement” reached during negotiations was approved with “unity and solidarity” within the council, Pezeshkian said, adding that its members had strongly defended the outcome.
At the same time, the Iranian President warned that Tehran would not accept pressure or surrender if the country came under attack again.
“We will under no circumstance bow to bullying, and there is no doubt about it,” Pezeshkian said, signalling that any renewed military confrontation would be met with resistance.
He added that Iran would continue defending itself if necessary and said the country's military commanders and armed forces remained fully prepared to respond.
“We will stand against them until our last breath and will give them a crushing response,” he said, while describing Iran's armed forces as being ready to defend the country with determination.
Pezeshkian's comments come amid uncertainty surrounding the diplomatic process between Tehran and Washington. Iran and the United States signed the MoU on June 18, with the agreement providing for further negotiations aimed at reaching a comprehensive settlement.
Under the arrangement, the two countries were expected to hold negotiations within 60 days to work towards a final agreement. That period expired on Monday, but there has been no clear indication that the talks have produced a definitive settlement.
The diplomatic process has also been complicated by renewed tensions and an escalation between the two sides last month, raising questions over whether the framework established in June can still provide a basis for negotiations.
Pezeshkian's latest remarks appear to combine an appeal for diplomacy with a warning against further military pressure. While calling for the conflict to end, he made clear that Tehran would not accept an agreement that it considers a capitulation.
The Iranian President's position underscores the delicate balance facing Tehran as it seeks to pursue negotiations while maintaining its military preparedness and asserting that any future agreement must preserve Iran's sovereignty and national interests.