Serena Williams, Carlos Alcaraz Join Forces for US Open Mixed Doubles; Sinner Withdraws - Maverick News30

Sports / 56 min ago / Team Maverick

Serena Williams, Carlos Alcaraz Join Forces for US Open Mixed Doubles; Sinner Withdraws

Serena Williams, Carlos Alcaraz Join Forces for US Open Mixed Doubles; Sinner Withdraws

New York, Aug 2026 : Tennis legend Serena Williams is set to make a high-profile return to the US Open, teaming up with Spanish star Carlos Alcaraz in the mixed doubles competition. The blockbuster pairing is among the biggest attractions of this year’s tournament and has generated considerable excitement among tennis fans.

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) announced on Saturday that Williams and Alcaraz had received a wildcard entry into the 2026 US Open Mixed Doubles Championship. The main draw will begin on Tuesday, August 25, with the semifinals and final scheduled for Wednesday.

The appearance will mark Williams’ first competitive outing at Flushing Meadows since 2022. The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion and six-time US Open singles winner returned to competitive tennis this summer after a lengthy absence. She recently reunited with sister Venus Williams in doubles at the Cincinnati Open, continuing her comeback.

Williams also has a strong history in mixed doubles at the US Open. She won the 1998 mixed doubles title in New York alongside Max Mirnyi, adding to a distinguished record in the discipline. Her partnership with Alcaraz therefore brings together two generations of Grand Slam champions on one court.

For Alcaraz, the mixed doubles event will provide an opportunity to return to competitive action ahead of his US Open singles title defence. The Spaniard has been sidelined since April because of a right wrist injury but confirmed earlier this week that he would compete in New York. He is the defending men's singles champion and will be looking to begin his campaign strongly after his injury layoff.

The Alcaraz-Williams combination is part of a star-studded mixed doubles field. Other high-profile teams include Aryna Sabalenka and Novak Djokovic, Iga Swiatek and Casper Ruud, and defending champions Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori.

Sinner ruled out with knee injury

While Alcaraz has confirmed his return, his biggest men's singles rival, world No. 1 Jannik Sinner, will be absent from this year’s US Open after withdrawing because of a persistent right knee injury.

The 25-year-old Italian announced the decision after returning to practice in Monte Carlo with his medical and performance teams. Sinner said he needed additional time to recover and described his withdrawal as a difficult decision.

Sinner has enjoyed a remarkable 2026 season. He has compiled a 44-3 win-loss record and captured six titles, including victories at Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome and Wimbledon. His fifth Grand Slam triumph at Wimbledon was his latest major success.

His withdrawal is particularly significant because it marks his first absence from a Grand Slam tournament since making his major debut at the 2019 US Open. Sinner had established himself as one of the dominant forces in men's tennis, and his absence dramatically changes the complexion of the US Open draw.

The Italian said he was disappointed to miss New York, a tournament and city he holds in high regard. His team plans to continue rehabilitation in Europe, with a potential return targeted for the Asian swing, including tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai.

Sinner’s withdrawal also opens up the men's singles competition. Defending champion Alcaraz now enters the tournament without the world No. 1 standing in his path, while Novak Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and several leading American players will see an opportunity to challenge for the title.

With Serena Williams making her much-anticipated return, Alcaraz beginning his title defence and Sinner watching from the sidelines, the 2026 US Open is set for a dramatic start both on and off the court. 

You May Also Read