Home State Shillong: Lok Sabha Bypoll Gears Up As VPP Candidate Approached High Court; UDP To Announce Candidate Today.
State - 1 hour ago

Shillong: Lok Sabha Bypoll Gears Up As VPP Candidate Approached High Court; UDP To Announce Candidate Today.

Shillong: May 2026: Following the demise of sitting MP Dr Ricky AJ Syngkon this February after a massive cardiac arrest, the Shillong Lok Sabha Seat is since lying vacant.

The Voice Of The People Party (VPP) Candidate Batskhem Myrboh has approached the learned Meghalaya High Court filing a writ petition seeking service confirmation and a No-Objection Certificate to contest the Shillong Lok Sabha byelection. The High Court while accepting Myrboh’s petition has issued notice to North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) and other respondents.

The matter was heard by Justice HS Thangkhiew on Thursday, May 21st. “Mr. S Sen, learned counsel is present and accepts notice on behalf of all the respondents, so no further notice is required”, the order noted. “He prays that he may be allowed 01(one) weeks’ time to obtain instructions. Prayer is allowed”, the bench stated while listing the matter for next hearing on June 04th, 2026.

Myrboh has moved the High Court after NEHU allegedly delayed action on his applications seeking permission to contest the bye-election. The petitioner, who was unanimously nominated by the VPP, has contended that he has completed his two year’s probation and that there is no disciplinary proceeding against him, but the University is yet to confirm his service or issue the required NOC.

In his petition, Myrboh said following his nomination, he submitted an application on March 05, 2026 to the Pro-Vice Chancellor, NEHU, seeking permission to contest the election. He filed another application to the Vice Chancellor on April 10, 2026 requesting a No-Objection Certificate to enable him to offer his candidature. After receiving no reply, he sent a reminder on April 27, 2026. The Pro-Vice Chancellor responded on May 4, 2026, informing him that under NEHU Regulation Rule RE-05, the Executive Council is the competent authority to grant permission to NEHU teachers to contest elections for MP and MLA.

The petition further noted that Myrboh has completed his two-year probationary period since his appointment on September 20, 2023 and is entitled to service confirmation. When his name was missing from the list of confirmed Associate teachers, he wrote to the Vice Chancellor on May 12, 2026 seeking corrective measures, but said no action has been taken so far. It was on May 15th 2026, the Joint Registrar, Establishment-II, informed him that the Chief Vigilance Officer had issued a Vigilance Certificate stating that no disciplinary proceeding was contemplated against him.

Myrboh argued that NEHU rules provide for permission to teachers to contest elections and that there is “no adverse remark or proceedings against the petitioner and no rules or provisions attract to refuse to grant the permissions or No-objections in favour of the petitioner”.

He contended that “there exists no reason to delay in confirming the service of the petitioner and issue permission or No-Objection Certificate”, adding that the delay was causing him “mental disturbances and anxiety to take effective measures and concrete decision to contest the election”. Stating that there was no other efficacious remedy, the petitioner has urged the High Court to call for records, and direct the respondents to confirm his service in terms of the NEHU ordinance and appointment letter and to issue the necessary No-Objection Certificate for the bye-election.

On the otherside, United Democratic Party President Metbah Lyngdoh yesterday (Friday – 22nd May 2026) said the party will decide its candidate for the Shillong Lok Sabha by-election within the next two days, with public sentiment and the prevailing political climate guiding the choice.

“The party has already initiated the process of selecting a candidate for the Shillong Lok Sabha byelection. It is still underway, and we expect to reach a conclusion within a day or two”, Lyngdoh told reporters. He confirmed that 02 to 03 party members are keen to contest but stressed that the decision would hinge on merit, not just interest. “We have to look at whether a person genuinely wants to contest and serve. We also want to see the agenda they bring. We need to be sure they truly intend to serve the people if elected”, he said.

On speculation around senior advocate VGK Kynta’s name, Lyngdoh said, “There are many names. Most aspirants want the decision to be taken at the party level first. We will inform everyone at the appropriate time”. Lyngdoh added that talks with the Regional Democratic Alliance (RDA) are ongoing and a timely decision will be taken shortly.

He noted that while the UDP is part of the MDA government, party decisions are independent. “The MDA is a coalition of many parties. But when it comes to party matters, we have our own approach. All parties are working in the interest of the state, so decisions depend on the situation”.

Reflecting on recent electoral performance, the UDP chief said the party had rebounded strongly after its poor showing in the 2024 Lok Sabha polls. “Every day is not Sunday. The last MP election was the worst performance for the party and the RDA as an alliance. But in the MDC elections just a year later, the UDP alone gained over 01 lakh additional votes”, he said.  That recovery, he added, has bolstered the party’s confidence. “That has convinced us. This time, as we meet people, there is a clear demand that the UDP should field its own candidate, given the political situation in the state”.

Team Maverick.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Fuel Prices Rise Again Across India for Third Time in 10 Days Amid Global Oil Pressure

New Delhi, May 2026: Petrol and diesel prices were increased across India on Saturday, mar…