NCP (Ajit Pawar) Rejects Reports of MLA Defections, Says Party Fully United
Mumbai, May 2026 : The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) led by Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Wednesday strongly denied media reports claiming that 22 party legislators were in contact with NCP-SP chief Sharad Pawar and planning to switch allegiance. The party termed the reports “false, baseless and misleading,” asserting that the organisation remains united under Ajit Pawar’s leadership.
Addressing reporters, party spokesperson Umesh Patil said no MLA from the Ajit Pawar faction had held political discussions with Sharad Pawar or was considering joining the rival camp. He clarified that recent speculation surrounding meetings between senior leaders and Sharad Pawar had been unnecessarily exaggerated by sections of the media.
Patil referred to State President and MP Sunil Tatkare’s recent meeting with Sharad Pawar, explaining that it was merely a courtesy visit to inquire about the veteran leader’s health. “Tatkare himself immediately clarified the purpose of the meeting before the media. There was no political angle to it,” Patil said.
The clarification came after television reports earlier in the day suggested that 22 MLAs from the ruling NCP faction were preparing to shift to the Sharad Pawar-led NCP (Sharadchandra Pawar) camp. In response, Patil, along with party MLAs Sanjay Bansode and Pratap Patil Chikhalikar, held a press conference to dismiss the claims and reaffirm party unity.
“Running stories about ruling party legislators joining the opposition without any evidence is highly irresponsible,” Patil said. He questioned whether any media outlet possessed proof that such a large group of MLAs had actually met Sharad Pawar or initiated talks regarding defection.
He added that the press conference was organised specifically to prevent confusion among party workers and legislators due to recurring rumours and speculative reports.
Patil also emphasised that the NCP functions on democratic principles and allows leaders the freedom to meet anyone they choose. “There are no restrictions on our MLAs regarding whom they meet or where they travel. But a section of the media is deliberately trying to create a false political narrative,” he alleged.
Highlighting the party’s continued expansion, Patil pointed to the induction of Prabodh Davkhare, son of veteran leader late Vasant Davkhare, into the party earlier in the day. According to him, several leaders, office-bearers and workers from other political parties are also showing interest in joining the NCP.
He urged media organisations to verify facts before broadcasting politically sensitive reports and appealed for responsible journalism to avoid misleading the public.
Patil also addressed reports regarding organisational matters within the party, saying the NCP had not yet submitted a revised letter to the Election Commission of India concerning a clerical omission in the party’s national executive list. The omission reportedly excluded names and designations of senior leaders including Praful Patel, Sunil Tatkare, Chhagan Bhujbal and Dilip Walse Patil.
He reiterated that Praful Patel continues as the party’s national working president and Sunil Tatkare remains the Maharashtra unit chief, dismissing speculation surrounding their positions within the organisation.
Pope Leo XIV Prays for Peace in Lebanon and the Middle East, Urges Unity Among Churches
May 2026 : Pope Leo XIV has called for renewed prayers for peace in Lebanon and the wider …








